Journal & New Chichester Papers
The Society's annual Journal, Chichester History, is published in early Autumn each year; copies are provided free of charge to all members. The Journal contains a wide range of articles about the Chichester district and to mark the publication of the 25th edition in 2009 a full index was produced covering all the issues from 1985 to 2009, a considerable achievement and a great asset to anyone interested in, or researching, the history of the local area.
Complete sets of the 26 editions are available for reference in the West Sussex Record Office and the Chichester Library while a set is also available for loan to Members from the Society's archive. In addition complete sets have recently been presented by the Society to the Cathedral Library, the University Library, and the City Council Archives. By reprinting a limited number of past copies of the Journal it has also proved possible for a number of Society members to complete their own sets.
In the 33 year period since 1985 six editors have been responsible for the production of the Journal. Greg Slay, FRSA is the current editor of The Journal - email: firstname.lastname@example.org, 7, Dolphin Close, Chichester, PO19 3QP.
From 2010, and in conjunction with the University of Chichester, the Society has published the New Chichester Papers, returning to an initiative started in 1955 by Chichester City Council of publishing a series of Chichester Papers exploring in more detail aspects of the history of the city. The original Chichester Papers ran until 1965. A new Paper is usually published each year. Details of the Papers can be found on the Shopping Page. The Editor is Alan Green. Potential writers are invited to discuss their ideas with the Editor for papers of the order of 6,000 - 12,000 words in length.